Font Size

Maximum text Medium text Small text

Maui County ADRC Frequently Asked Questions

What is "Kupuna Care"?
Kupuna Care is a system of services funded by the State of Hawaii to provide transportation,  case management, home-delivered meals, homemaker, and personal care services. To qualify, someone must be at least age 60, not able to perform one or more activities of daily living (ADLs) or instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs), and have an unmet need. Clients are asked for a voluntary contribution.
Call (808) 270-7774 for more information.
How can I get a picture identification card if I don't have a Driver's License?
Motor Vehicle Registration & Licensing

Maui Mall Shopping Center
70 E. Kaahumanu Ave. Suite A-17
Kahului, HI  96732

Ph: (808) 270-7363
Fax: (808) 270-7858

Office Hours
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Beginning Wednesday, January 2, 2013, the State Department of Transportation (DOT) and all county driver license offices will implement Act 310, Session laws of Hawaii 2012, which affects the issuance of Hawaii State Identification Cards statewide.

Effective January 2, 2013, anyone applying for an original or renewal of their Hawaii State Identification Card must be at least ten (10) years old and present documentary proof of legal name, date of birth, social security number, legal presence and proof of principal residence address in the U.S. in person at any of the Driver Licensing Offices.

All applicants applying for a State of Hawaii Identification Card must complete the following:

  1. Complete the State of Hawaii Identification Card Application
  2. Present required Documentation of the following.  All documents must be original or certified.    
  3. If the applicant is between ten (10) years old and 14 (fourteen) years old, a Parent / Guardian Affidavit must be completed.
  4. Payment of the appropriate fees.  Refer to the 2013 Maui County Fee Chart.

Existing State of Hawaii Identification Card holders may renew within six (6) months of expiration. 

Renewal by Mail requests are limited to applicants eighty (80) years of age or older or applicants with a physical or mental disability.
Do you know anyone I may hire to help care for my elder?
Call the Maui County Office on Aging at (808) 270-7774 for information and referrals. Also click the Find Services tab on this website for more options.
How do I report abuse of an elderly person?
Abuse may be physical, psychological, financial, or sexual. The State of Hawaii Adult Protective Service (APS) office on Maui, (808) 243-5151, has the authority to help and intervene in cases of abuse, whether suspected or actual. Any person making the report may remain anonymous. Any person who is neglected by others or exhibits signs of self-neglect should also be reported to APS.
How do I get one of those passes that allow parking in handicapped spaces?
The pass is called a Disabled Persons Parking Permit. Applications are available at The County of Maui, Department of Finance, Motor Vehicles and Drivers Licensing Division at The Maui Mall, 70 E. Kaahumanu Avenue, Kahului, HI 96732. A doctor must confirm your disability. You may also download the form from Disability and Communication Access Board.
Maui : (808) 270-7263         Moloka‛i (808) 553-3430
       Lana‛i: (808) 565-7878
How do I get Handivan service?
People who are unable to use the fixed route bus system due to a disability must complete a Maui Bus ADA paratransit application form that we provide. Application forms can be mailed to you or you can access the County website at and print the ADA paratransit application and rider's guide in the transportation department section. A healthcare professional must confirm your disability. The application then should be sent for review and approval to County Department of Transportation, 2145 Kaohu Street, Suite #102, Wailuku, HI 96793. For more inforamtion, o n Maui, call (808) 270-7511.
ADA paratransit is only available for places where a public transit system exists, so it is not available on Molokai and Lana i. However, MEO transportation provides service on both Moloka i and Lanai. For more information, call MEO on Moloka i, at (808) 553-3216. On Lana i, call (808) 565-6665.
Persons with disabilities who reside on Moloka i and Lana i may qualify for paratransit when they visit Maui. They need to complete the same application form as Maui riders.
Who can tell me about housing options for seniors?
Call Hale Mahaolu at (808) 872-4100 for an application for senior housing, or the Maui County Office on Aging at (808) 270-7774 for information about all housing options for seniors.
Where can a well, active senior go for exercise, recreation and socialization?
Senior Centers
Kaunoa Senior Center - (808) 270-7308
West Maui Senior Center - (808) 661-9432
Hale Hulu Mamo - Hana Senior Center (808) 248-8833
Molokai Senior Center - (808) 553-5402
Lanai Senior Center - (808) 565-6282
Where are the places seniors can go for a luncheon meal?
Meals are served in many group dining locations by Kaunoa Senior Services’ Congregate Dining Program.
On Maui, call (808) 270-7306 for information and applications.
On Molokai, call (808) 553-5402. On Lanai, call 565-6282.
Meals delivered to homebound frail elders persons can also be arranged by calling the Maui County Office on Aging at (808) 270-7774 on Maui
On Lanai, call (808) 565-5402. On Molokai call (808) 553-5241.
I need help preparing my tax returns, but cannot afford to pay a tax preparer.
The AARP Tax-Aide program provides qualified volunteers to assist with the preparation of federal and state tax returns at no charge. Call Kaunoa Senior Services at (808) 270-7308 for more information.
My relative needs to be in a care home. How do I learn where there are care homes, and who is eligible for placement in a care home?
Call the Maui County Office on Aging at (808) 270-7774 for information on adult residential care homes, or visit the State of Hawaii, Department of Health Office of Health Care Assurance, State Licensing Section website at
I am a caregiver for my father. Is there a Senior Center or activity he can attend while I am working?
The answer depends on his physical and mental condition. Please call the Maui County Office on Aging (808) 270-7774 to describe your situation and ask for assistance. Most senior centers require participants to be independent. For those who need assistance and/or supervision, an adult day care center may be more appropriate.
Reach Maui Adult Day Care at (808) 871-5804.
How can I arrange services to help parents who live in another state? I think they could be helped by services like those available in Oahu.
Services for parents or any elder persons living in another state can be arranged through the area agency on aging (AAA) in their area. Their specific AAA can be ascertained via the Eldercare Locator through their toll-free number (1-800-677-1116). Eldercare Locator is a service of the Administration on Aging of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. It is important to keep in mind that the elder may not be as willing to accept services as you would like them to be. Discussing how these services will keep them independent may be a good way to introduce the subject.
How can I apply for benefits such as food stamps and Medicaid?
To see if you are eligible for welfare, food stamps, and Medicaid, please call the Public Assistance Information line at 643-1643.
Does Medicare cover dental services?
Original Medicare does not cover dental services. Some Medicare Advantage plans may provide some dental coverage, however this is usually very limited. Medicaid does not normally cover dental services either, except under certain circumstances.
What is the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?
Medicare is a Federal health insurance plan available to seniors 65 years and older and certain persons with disabilities. Medicaid is a State-administered health insurance program for persons with certain disabilities/medical conditions and persons 65 years and older who have very low incomes and limited assets.
Will Medicare pay for a nurse or home health aid to help an elder in the home?
Medicare generally provides medical coverage only. This includes visits to a doctor and stays in the hospital. Medicare will only cover short-term, in-home care following hospitalization, and when ordered by a doctor. Medicare does not cover custodial services, which are non-medical care services such as housekeeping, meal preparation and ongoing assistance with personal care.
Will Medicare pay for a Long Term Care facility such as a Care Home or Nursing Home?
Medicare does not cover care homes. Medicare will cover a limited number of days for stays in a skilled nursing facility, normally following hospitalization. It does not cover long term stays in a skilled nursing facility. If client requires ongoing skilled nursing care and cannot afford to pay, client should apply for Medicaid long term care coverage.


For Help Call:
Statewide 643-ADRC(2372)
Maui 808-270-7774
Molokai 808-553-5241
Lanai 808-565-6818